Tuesday, April 3, 2012

AWE-tism Awareness

Yesterday was World Autism Awareness Day, and the Autism community was all ready. We had blue lightbulbs, we had blue hair, we had videos, we were ready.

I never left my house. All day. I spent the morning finishing a project that I had started over the weekend and just didn't have the energy to take these 3 kids somewhere since they are all home for spring break. Big Brother went outside to play for a while and the twins stayed inside with me. We didn't do much (other than fight), but we did it in blue clothes. We did it with my blue hair. And we watched my video (the project I was working to finish).

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

You see, Autism Awareness Day (for now, at least) only seems to affect those who see autism every day. The families and the professionals who work with these children. No one else really seems to notice that the incidence rates are going up every time you turn around. Realize that in 1985 the rates were 1 in 2000 children......today, 1 in 88 (1 in 54 boys, 1 in 252 girls) will be diagnosed on the spectrum by the time our children are 8 years old. This is more than children to be diagnosed with diabetes, AIDS, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy and down syndrome -- COMBINED. But if it doesn't affect someone, they may pay some tribute (wear blue when reminded, for example), but then allow it to disappear unnoticed. And I know that's true.....because that was me a few years ago.



World Autism Awareness Day, 2012 may now be over, but it's still my job as a parent of children on the spectrum to keep pushing for awareness. April is still happening and I will keep pushing hard throughout the month, but when April is over, Autism doesn't simply disappear. I hope that those who don't see Autism every day will start taking the initiative and will continue to ask questions and will keep a watchful eye on their own children to catch signs early.

Because until we find the cause, the rates will continue on the steep incline we've been seeing these last few years.

4 comments:

  1. I've started a Face of Autism on my blog..... every day this month I shall post a picture of my son with Autism :) I plan to post pics of him before autism took him, when he was diagnosd, now and as big events come up through the month (including his THIRTEENTH birthday!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to him!!!! Big Brother is turning 7 next week!!!! I need to go and check out those pictures. Are you changing them daily or keeping them all up?

      Delete
    2. Never mind -- I just saw. He does have incredible eyes!!!!!

      Delete
    3. doesn't he though?!?! :) I'm hoping at the end of the month to do a slideshow with all the pics that I've posted this month as the Face of Autism! My little guy turns 10 a couple of days after the older one turns 13! CRAZY! lol

      Delete